Google My Business: When your customers search for you, you will be waiting for them!
Did you know 92% of all online searches happen on Google, and most people don't look past the first page of their search?
In other words, your customers are finding what they need on Google’s first page. That’s why your Google My Business listing is so crucial to the success of your business. Although there are other ways your business can show up on the first page of a Google search, your Google business listing is one of the fastest ways customers can find and connect with you!
This free tool from Google helps business owners manage their online presence across the web, and it offers the most significant impact for businesses seeking local attention, aka attracting new business.
The details you provide in your Google My Business listing links to other Google features like Google’s Local Search, Google +, and Google Maps. It also provides Google’s Knowledge Graph (the system Google uses to generate details for its database about a business and how they relate to search terms) with the information Google needs to make sure your business populates correctly when searched.
In other words, your Google My Business listing is an incredibly valuable tool that helps you:
- Leverage your local marketing strategy
- Control, index, and display pertinent business information
- Interact with potential customers and manage your online review reputation
- Curate customer photos, videos, and other user-generated content
- Gather insights regarding how your customers are arriving on your site
How do you set up your Google My Business Listing?
If you have been in business for a while, chances are you already have a listing that was created in either Google Places for Business or in the Google+ Pages. Both of those systems have been integrated with Google My Business.
Steps to starting your Google My Business Listing:
- Run a quick test to ensure your business doesn't already have an account/listing.
- Add or claim your Google My Business listing.
- Enter your business name and address to ensure your business doesn't already have a listing you need to reclaim. If your business was set up or claimed by someone else, follow these steps to reclaim ownership.
- Continue filling in your business' details. Make sure everything is grammatically correct in your description, and your business contact details (name, address, email, phone number, and website) are consistent across all your online profiles, listings, and webpages.
- Find the most qualifying category for your business (hint: Real Estate)
- Verify your listing. This is the most important step. You must verify your listing for visibility and peak performance.
Now that your listing is claimed and verified with the basic structure in place, your next move is to make your listing optimized for Google and attractive to potential clients.
The best ways to increase your Google My Business listing to get noticed and generate more leads today!
Make sure your listing information is complete.
Make sure your listing has the most detailed and accurate information about your business. Don’t leave anything to be guessed or assumed; make sure your listing communicates with potential customers what your company does, where it is, and how the customer can connect with you.
Optimize your listing description with relevant keywords.
You have 760 words to make a lasting impression on Google and your audience. Just like a website, Google uses your listing as a signal to serve search results. They do this through keywords and key phrases, so what you write matters to how your listing will be ranked.
- Be engaging with photo content.
The saying that a picture says a thousand words could not be more accurate. Google My Business listings with photos receive 42% more requests for driving directions on Google Maps and 35% more click-throughs to their websites than businesses that are without images. So paint a pretty picture for your audience and add photos!
- Interaction with customer reviews is highly rewarded.
Interacting with customers by responding to their reviews illustrates that your business values your customers' feedback. Positive or negative responding to your customers shows the world you care.
Don't be afraid to ask your customers to leave feedback by creating a link they can click to write reviews for your business. Remember, positive reviews will have a positive effect on potential customers, and it also increases your business’ visibility in search results.
Stop wasting time and set-up your Google My Business listing today!